Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Welcome to Jordan!

Well my journey got off to an auspicious start when, in the mad rush to put my last few belongings into storage, I managed to leave my travel journal and assortment of colourful luggage tags at Dora's place.

I think I also managed to really impress Dora as a confident, experienced, worldly backpacker when I put on my pack, reached down to pick something up and promptly toppled over before I even got out the door. Imagine a turtle that has been flipped onto its back with its little legs flailing about and you'll have a pretty accurate mental picture of the situation.

To be honest I was so exhausted from the farewells, canceling internet/mobile/bank accounts and triple checking my 3 different "to do" lists that I arrived at Sydney airport tired, emotional and carrying enough first aid gear to open my own field hospital. I don't know which part of my packing was more irrational...The assumption that 100 band aids would not be enough or the assumption that they wouldn't have band aids in the middle east.

My 26 hours in transit bore a strange resemblance to the lifestyle of my new baby niece Metta. Wrapped up snug and warm in a small space (incidentally the economy seats got progressively narrower and closer to the chair in front with each of my three flights) I would sleep, wake, be fed, go to the toilet, and then go back to sleep again. I tried to stay awake for most of the first 8 hour flight in a vain attempt to get in sync with my new timezone - but all that resulted in was me falling into a coma at Kuala Lumpur airport during a three hour stop over and nearly missing my flight to Dubai.

By the time I boarded my flight to Amman I was close to delirious and  my plan was to take a long hot shower, crash out and sleep for 3 days upon my arrival at the hotel. But then something wonderful happened as we started our descent into Amman... I looked out the window and saw desert and villages stretching out below me. And it finally hit me. I am here, in the middle east, at last. It looked so sunny, sandy, exotic and just thoroughly different from any other place I've been in the world that I immediately wanted to set out and explore it. I was so excited that I didn't even mind that my pre-arranged airport pick up had not materialised and that all of the ATMs at the airport had run out of cash.

I dumped my pack in my room at the hotel, threw on a head scarf and headed out to explore my new neighbourhood. From my hotel room the sounds of call to prayer battled for supremacy with the jack hammers from nearby roadworks and the incessant honking of car horns. It was only 10 degrees when I arrived in Amman but by late morning the sun had a definite bite to it and it felt like high twenties as I wandered up steep winding streets to the citadel on the highest hill in the city.

I was definitely noticed as I wandered but the attention was so warm and friendly that I didn't mind. I might have been followed by mutilple calls of "Hullo! Hullo!" and the ever present "Welcome to Jordan!" but I didn't feel hassled and people were keen for me to look at their wares without any pressure to buy. I finished off my first day with a meal at a local street stall. It got a rave review in the LP, but more impressively it was packed with locals when I arrived. I then proceeded to enjoy the most scrumptious meal of tomato, mint, flat bread, hummus, felafel and sweet tea I have ever had all for the princely sum of 1.5 JD. A perfect end to my first day in Jordan.

I should say that while writing this blog entry I've experienced my first black out of this trip  (1 and a half hours which I spent trading tales with an American student who had just lost her half written email on the computer next to mine) - its almost like the universe thought I was getting too carried away and just wanted to remind me that I'm backpacking :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you. I don't need to tell you to enjoy and have a great time as I can see you are will continue to. I will check in as often as I can. xx

    ReplyDelete